When a person dies or is killed due to negligence or misconduct of another, the surviving members of the victims family may sue the person responsible for wrongful death.
Elements of Wrongful death lawsuit
Lawsuit will be successful with these elements in it
- The death of a human being
- Caused by another’s negligence or with the intension to cause harm
- Victims family is suffer monetary injury
- Appointment of personal representative for decedents estate
Circumstances causing wrongful death claim
- medical malpractice
- automobile of airplane accident
- exposure to hazardous condition or substances at place of work
- criminal behavior
Hiring a wrongful death attorney
Losing someone who is close to us is always difficult. And when that person was someone who you depended, it becomes more difficult. Hiring an attorney is the right thing to do in such cases to claim compensation.
Why hire an attorney
- Attorneys help you to save time and money with claiming wrongful death cases. With less or no knowledge, you may struggle with the proceedings. You would be required to file the documents too. An attorney who is far more experienced can take you through these proceedings with ease.
- Value of you claim: an attorney with whole lot experience on these matters knows exactly what to do. He/she will thoroughly evaluate the entire situation and assess the impact of loss.
- Take your case to trial: not all cases will be taken to trial, some get settled before that. In case of trial, your attorney will help you attain maximum compensation.
Key aspects to look for in a wrongful death attorney
- How much experience which he/she have in specific area? For instance if your relative died in a construction accident, attorneys knowledge on construction law matters.
- You should find a lawyer who can really focus on your case. A high profile lawyer with no time should be avoided.
- What other attorneys think of your lawyer can also be looked into.
- Online reviews about your attorney
- Check the state bar association for any disciplinary actions against your attorney.
At the time of wrongful death, you can always seek the help of an attorney. He/she is someone with great knowledge and expertise.