Many truck accidents happen in California; while some of these cause minor injuries, others lead to fatalities. One such accident occurred on the 210 freeway in Pasadena last September and resulted in the demise of the truck driver. Police reports reveal that that truck crashed into a sports utility vehicle, and while the SUV’s driver got back control of this vehicle, the other driver could not. The latter’s truck jackknifed, then hit a tree and subsequently flipped. There appears to be a reason for the accident that necessitates a wrongful death claim.
Which Parties You Can Sue In a Lawsuit of Wrongful Death
When one dies in a collision where the fault was mostly someone else’s, his or her family member may be entitled to file this lawsuit. Many fail to realize that the one who is directly guilty is perhaps not the lone responsible party. For instance, had the SUV’s driver been killed, then his or her family might just have had various parties to hold responsible, including the following.
- The company which employs the truck’s driver. When that employer made the professional work longer than they legally can, the former is possibly responsible. The trucking company can be liable even if it recruited an improperly licensed and/or improperly trained person.
- The insurer of that driver. The whole point of having an insurer is to protect against damages or injuries that occur due to unforeseen situations, like an accident. The policyholder may pass away in such an incident, but that insurance policy may cover injuries and damages.
- The truck maker. When a fault in this product is a big reason for the collision, its manufacturer could be held liable.
- Another driver. In that case, the big question is why did they lose control of this automobile. In the event a closer look into the accident reveals that some other driver brought about it, he or she could just be found guilty.
- Government agencies. During the accident, were there unsafe road conditions, which could have been fixed, or bushes/trees that obscured the way? If so, the government might just be held liable. The hurt people have to take legal action against the government immediately. Why? Because the statute of limitations for that is not as long as the deadline to do it against the common people.