If someone has had their partner or a family member die as a result of someone else’s negligence, then a wrongful death claim could be filed against that person. Many of those who are landed in such situations make up the ill-fated decision of saving their hard-earned money and simply fight the case themselves. The “I’ll just research it online” statement mostly follows this rather false sense of pride.
If you are in the middle of grieving the loss of a loved one, will you be clear as to the various things that you need to research to prepare your case? What if there are federal laws that you need to be aware of? Would you be aware of all of the filling dates and meet up with each discovery date? Many things can end up turning sour, and if any of the deadlines are missed, then you can bid your negligence case good-bye.
This is why it would be smarter if you handed over the case to a Wrongful death attorney. An attorney for wrongful death will guide you through all the legal roadblocks that you would have otherwise stumbled over. The money that you are spending as attorney fees, is to be considered as a way to avenge your loved ones and to make sure that they have been properly taken care of.
What To Look For When Hunting Down Best Wrongful Death Attorney?
In no specific order of importance, we have penned down some of the traits that would make the perfect match for your claim:
- How many years of experience does he/she have in the specific area about the case? If the death of the person occurred on an operating table, then you will want someone who has relevant experience handling such a case prior.
- Is the lawyer you selected an extremely busy person who is loaded with many other cases? If the lawyer is high profile, then chances are that they have their hands full. Find someone who focuses on just you.
- Are there any legal or disciplinary actions against this attorney? You can check the state bar association websites.
- What are past customers saying about the lawyer? Search for online reviews.
- What is the take of other lawyers on the said attorney? Do have something good, bad, or neutral to add?
It is a hard enough time, but not taking an additional effort to find the right lawyer can spell bad news.